Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Me in a nutshell


Me in a nutshell.
My names Ashlea & I'm more or less as a part time Australian - full time explorer snap-happy kid exploring the world. I prefer to go further than just the quick visit- opting instead to live abroad full time, immerse myself within a culture and really reap the benefits of long term travel & life abroad.

I have my wonderful parents to thank for passing on the travel bug and enabling me to see so much of the world prior to being old enough to go it alone. It wasn’t until two years ago that I really got itchy feet and the courage to set sail. Once I had decided I was going to go and work overseas I started looking online at my options. It was only a mere two weeks later I found myself stepping off a plane alone in Europe. There I was, wide eyed and wishful, with $200 in my wallet. Trying to navigating an airport I’d never been to, listening to a language I’d never heard, looking for someone I’d never met heading to live in a country I knew nothing about.

Packing that bag proved to be both the hardest and best decision I’ve ever made.
It’s now almost 24 months later and I’m still on the go. I’m currently living on an island in paradise. Aka. The Maldives. I’ve managed to bounce around the globe with no real savings, and I hope to inform and inspire others on how to do the same! I’ve travelled to over 27 countries, 130 cities, and have lived and worked on three different continents.



Countries I’ve checked off my list:

Australia, England, Ireland, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Belgium, Hungary, Norway, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland, Portugal, Spain, Iceland, USA, Canada, Malaysia, China, Singapore, Maldives, Thailand, The Caribbean; Virgin Islands, Saint Maarten, Bahamas

Countries I’ve lived & worked in:
The motherland (Australia) The Netherlands, Malaysia & now The Maldives - I'm sensing a pattern with the 'THE..' countries here?


The bucket list:
Other than everywhere, I have a burning desire to head to Mexico and make my way from there over to and down through South America. If I can get around the visa challenges I’d like to call Colorado or New York home at some point and Tokyo is topping the must-see-cities list right about now.

Favourite Destinations?
Ah, the stock standard question you either love or loathe to answer.
How anyone can narrow down their top places I have no idea. So here's my usual response: As a country on a whole I am utterly in love with Switzerland. If I was to be pinned down in one city my pick would be Berlin. Some of the most incredible sights I've seen and experiences I've had were in Iceland. being that my first move abroad was to the Netherlands, it will always hold a piece of my heart. I love exploring the back alleys of Asia, and could easily spend the rest of my life gallivanting around France. If I had to pick a luxury trip- cruising the inside passage of Alaska or around the Caribbean on the floating cities they call cruise ships came with some pretty amazing territory. 



Some random facts about me
1. I’m really passionate about art and am generally scribbling in my sketch book when I’m not exploring. You can check out some of my art on instagram @artbyashlea
2. I LOATHE PACKING. I actually had a breakdown the night before I was due to leave for Europe. I sat there, hung over my suitcase crying. Wondering how on earth I was going to be able to squash my life into this 25kg suitcase for a whole year. As easy as packing is now, it’s still something I avoid doing until I absolutely have to.
3. It took only one tandem skydive to sell me on heading up solo & getting licensed.
4. I'd consider it an achievement if I can go the rest of my life without having to hold a cotton ball ever again. When being handled they happen to make (for me) the cringe-worthy sound & feels I can only compare to that of what nails-on-a-chalk-board does for others. I am told regularly that cotton balls don't make sounds.. and with evidence of my squirming and inability to willingly pick one up -I strongly beg to differ.
5. I've written & illustrated about 12 (&counting) childrens books, though due to my lack of confidence to actually send one off - they'll probably never see the light of day.
6. For now.. I've dropped out of my psych degree to follow my heart around the world. Some say I’m running away. In response & to quote Jimi Hendrix, I respond "If I'm free, it's because I'm always running".

& last but not least - a truth fact: I know absolutely nada about blogging. So please bare with me while I attempt to figure it all out! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

SEARCH THE BLOG:

Follow on Bloglovin