Monday, January 13, 2014

STARS COME & GO BUT SOY SAUCE IS FOREVER: Spanish Journal W2

"Stars come and go but soy sauce is forever."-The line I've created to overcome my initial issue with having two versions of "I am" in Spanish.

Me llama Ashlea. Quien es usted?
De dónde es ustedes? Soy Australiana- yo vivo en las Maldivas. Tego vientedos años. Encantada!

Success! I can say with a grin I’ve reached my mini conversation goal this week & can now introduce myself and ask where someone's from. Translation (here’s hoping I actually got it right) Hello! My name is Ashlea, who are you? Where are you from? I am Australian, I am living in the Maldives. I’m 22 years old. Nice to meet you! 

Semana dos (week two) GOAL CHECKLIST
[  ] Spend 30mins a day practicing
[x] Complete Teach Yourself Spanish Unit one
[x] Numbers 20 – 100
[x] Be able to introduce myself
[x] Pronouns (I, we, you, they are)
[x] Make a new Spanish friend
BONUS-[x] Ended up learning some colours and animals this week tambien! (also)

Resumen semanal (WEEKLY SUMMARY)
Bum bow… didn’t quite reach my study time goal though I did manage to do a little something every day. I ended up spending more time researching programs and pages on learning Spanish than actually using or learning with them. I did indeed make a Spanish friend though! One of the perks of long term travel or life abroad is meeting and making friends from all over the world. After a hopeful facebook post and a refer-a-friend situation I was introduced to my new Spanish friend. A friend of mine saw my post and put me in touch with her friend who is Spanish & currently learning English. Perfecto! We plan to help each other on our quest for mastering one another’s language. The hardest part this week? To be or to be. Soy vs Estoy.

¿cómo lo hago -HOW DID I DO IT?
(Some of the resources I used or memory tricks)
·        Soy vs estoy. Having two forms of ‘I am’ was a new concept and a little hard to wrap my head around. From the research I did though & to my current understanding soy is used to express things of permanence for eg I am tall or I am Australian whereas estoy is used to express things ‘in the moment’ or events of non-permanence for example I am happy or I am at the movies. A little line I’m using to remember this? Stars come and go (Estos sounding a little like stars) but SOY sauce is forever. I’m finding word play helps new phrases and concepts stick a little better in my mind and the weirder the line the higher chance I remember. Another example of this was when learning the French word for fish -poisson (pronounced pwa-son). I remembered fish over any other animal to begin with because I don’t like nor eat fish- fish to me are poison.
·        Teach Yourself Spanish Unit one / two
·        http://spanish.typeit.org/ The site I’ve been using to type correctly to my Spanish amigo.
·        Learnt 20 new vocab words from a Childrens ‘turn & learn’ picture book by writing on the back of each page the spanish word.


That marks the end of week two! – Habla próxima semana!
Be sure to subscribe by email for updates on my progress or check out some other posts.
New to the journey? See how it started here. Missed last weeks post? Check out week one here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

SEARCH THE BLOG:

Follow on Bloglovin